History of Construction and
The market is located on the west
side of the Lechaion Road immediately to the north of the Lechaion
Road Basilica. The building is only half excavated. In its original
form the structure was a rectangular court with an interior
colonnade measuring ca. 15.74 x 24.32 m with rooms along the
sides and back. The identification of the building as a macellum
(market) is based on the discovery of fragments of an inscription
mentioning the donor Quintus Cornelius Secundus, found reused
in a later context and dating to the Augustan period.
Following the earthquake of the
70's A.D. a semicircular Ionic colonnade was built within the
rectangular peristyle and the building probably continued to
be used as a market.
Picture from the Market:
- Broneer, Oscar. "Area North
of the Basilica," American Journal of Archaeology 30,
- West, A.B. Corinth VIII,
ii, Latin Inscriptions 1896-1926. Cambridge, MA, 1931,
- Williams, C.K. II. "Roman Corinth
as a Commerical Center," JRA Supplement 8, The Corinthia
in the Roman Period, T.E. Gregory, ed., 1993, 40-41.
Figure 1: Restored
plan of the market north of the Lechaion Road basilica in Corinth,
figures to enlarge.
state of the Roman market, early Grek trader complex, and Late