U N I V E R S I T Y O F P E N N S Y L V A N I A
City and Landscape of Roman Corinth
Ancient History 625
Classical Studies 625
Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World 625
- Alcock, Susan and Robin Osborne, Placing the Gods, Sanctuaries and Sacred Space in Ancient Greece, Oxford University Press, 1994.
- Chapter 2: Alan Peatfield, "After the 'Big Bang' -- What? or Minoan Symbols and Shrines beyond Palatial Collapse" (pdf)
- Chapter 3: James C. Wright, "The Spatial Configuration of Belief: The Archaeology of Mycenaean Religion" (pdf)
- Chapter 5: Catherine Morgan, "The Evolution of a 'Sacral Landscape': Isthmia, Perachora and the Early Corinthian State," pp. 105-142
- Blome, Peter, "Lefkandi und Homer," Würzburger Jahrbücher für die Altertumswissenschaften, Neue Folge, 10, 1984, pp. 9-22. (pdf)
- Burkert, Walter, Homo Necans: The Anthropology of Ancient Greek Sacrificial Ritual and Myth, University of California Press, Los Angeles, 1983.
- Carter, Joseph Coleman, The sculpture of the Sanctuary of Athena Polias at Priene, Society of Antiquaries of London in association with British Museum Publications, 1983. (pdf)
- Coldstream, J.N., Geometric Greece, Second Edition, Routledge, 2003.
- Chapter 13: Sanctuaries, Gods and Votives
- De Polignac, Francois, Cults, Territory, and the Origins of the Greek State, University of Chicago, Chicago, 1995.
- Desborough, V.R.d'A., The Greek Dark Ages, Benn, London, 1972
- Chapter 18: Sanctuaries and Cult Places
- Dickinson, Oliver, The Aegean Bronze Age, Cambridge, 1994.
- Jones, Donald W., Peak Sanctuaries and Sacred Caves in Minoan Crete, Paul Astrom, Jonsered, Sweden, 1999.
- Hagg, Robin and Nanno Marinatos, Sanctuaries and Cults in the Aegean Bronze Age, Proceedings of the First International Symposium at the Swedish Institute in Athens, 12-13 May 1980, Stockholm, 1981.
- Elizabeth French, 'Cult Places at Mycenae,' pp. 41-48
- V. Lambrinudakis, 'Remains in the Mycenaean period in the Sanctuary of Apollon Maleatas,' pp. 59-65
- Alexandra Karetsou, 'The Peak Sanctuary of Mt. Juktas,' pp. 137-153
- Hamilakis, Yannis and Eleni Konsolaki, "Pigs for the Gods: Burnt Animal Sacrifices as Embodied Rituals at a Mycenaean Sanctuary," Oxford Journal of Archaeology, 23(2) 2004 135–151. (pdf)
- Hogarth, D.G., "Excavations at Naukratis. A. Site and Buildings," Annual of the British School at Athens 5, 1898-99, pp. 26-46. (pdf)
- Konsolaki-Yannopoulou, Eleni, "New Evidence for the Practice of Libations in the Aegean Bronze Age," in Potnia, Deities and Religion in the Aegean Bronze Age, Aegaeum 22, R. Laffineur and R. Hagg, eds., 2001, pp. 213-220 and pls. (pdf)
- Konsolaki, Eleni, "A Mycenaean Sanctuary on Methana," Peloponnesian Sanctuaries and Cults, R. Hagg, ed., Stockholm, 2002, pp. 25-36. (pdf)
- Marintos, Nanno and Robin Hagg, eds., Greek Sanctuaries, New Approaches, Routledge, New York, 1995.
- Mikalson, Jon D., Ancient Greek Religion, Blackwell, London, 2005.
- Mitchell, L. G., "Ethnic Identity and the Community of the Hellenes: A Review." Ancient West & East, 4(2), 2005, pp. 409-420. (pdf)
- Moeller, Astrid, Naukratis. Trade in Archaic Greece. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2000. pp. 105-108. (pdf)
- Palaima, Thomas G., "Appendix One: Linear B Sources," in Anthology of Classical Myth, Primary Sources in Translation, S.M. Trzaskoma, R.S. Smith and S. Brunet, eds., Hackett, Indianapolis, 2004. (pdf)
- Pedley, John G., Sanctuaries and the Sacred in the Ancient Greek World, Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Valavanis, Panos, Games and Sanctuaries in Ancient Greece: Olympia, Delphi, Isthmia, Nemea, Athens, Kapon Editions, Athens, 2004.
- Voyatzis, Mary, "The Cult of Athena Alea at Tegea and its Transformation over Time," in Celebrations. Sanctuaries and Vestiges of Cult Activity (Papers from the Norwegian Institute in Athens, vol. 6), Athens, 2004, pp. 1-15 (pdf)
- Watrous, L. Vance, "The Cave Sanctuary of Zeus at Psychro," in Aegaeum 15, R. Laffineur and T.G. Palaima, eds., 1996.
- White, Donald, ed. "Gifts to the Goddesses--Cyrene's Sanctuary of Demeter and Persephone." Expedition Vol 34, nos. 1-2, 1992. (link)